Monday 10 July 2017

Queen Elizabeth Recognises Nigerian Born-British Lawyer

Nigerians both home and in the Diaspora - have expressed joy after Her Royal Highness, Queen Elizabeth II in her 91st birthday recognised British/Nigerian lawyer, diversity leader and mother, Funke Abimbola (nee Akindolie) in her honours list for this year.

The Nigerian-born Abimbola has been awarded Member of the Order of the British Empire (M.B.E) for services to diversity in the legal profession and to young people, her outstanding long-term, significant impact to the legal community and to the next generation, serving as an example to others. 


Meanwhile, commenting on her appointment, Abimbola said: “I was absolutely stunned when I received an official letter from the Cabinet Office informing me of this. The letter explained that, having taken advice from the Head of the Civil Service and the Main Honours Committee, the Prime Minister needed my permission before submitting my name to the Queen and recommending that I be awarded the M.B.E."

"It is incredible to think that campaigning for equality in my personal time (having experienced both direct racial and gender-based discrimination myself) and supporting young people to reach their potential has led to me receiving a Queen’s honour."

No comments:

Post a Comment