Sunday 24 May 2020

COVID-19: Nigerian Woman Shares Safety Tips to Avoid Imaginary Symptoms



A Nigerian woman (name withheld) has narrated how watching the news on the COVID-19 pandemic daily led to her imaginative symptoms. In this chat with HealthMundo, she shared her experience to ease the hysteria ripping the peace of citizens; safety tips to avoid imaginary symptoms.


I was missing my ‘normal life’ so bad. Later, it began to feel like anxiety attacks. I felt cornered and trapped by the stubborn virus. Watching my default channel – CNN – wasn’t helping at all.

Sadly, the more I watched, the more I experienced imaginary dry throat/ cough symptoms that was real. I hugged my kids – and a few times they said, “mummy you feel warm”. And my mind began to imagine weird stuff.

Swiftly, I changed to other entertainment channels. Because I always need a dose of news no matter how brief, I switched to BBC and SKY. Again, it’s about how France and New York are recording close to one thousand deaths a day.

I imagine these numbers represent people: mothers, fathers, brothers,  sisters, children, and grandparents among others. Now I am scared and helpless at the same time. It’s a quiet mind altering feeling that is hard to explain.

As I struggled to get through my lockdown withdrawal symptoms, a friend and colleague who is also a health worker reached out from the US. He told me how lucky I was to be in Africa during this pandemic. He brought me the news of two people who tested positive and “It didn’t look good”.

He mentioned names of co-workers in his facility who  succumbed to Rona. I was particularly struck by one, not only because he is an African,  I knew how he struggled through nursing school juggling two jobs to cater to his family. What a bad loss!

My friend lamented how stressful it is to be constantly on high alert. His words: “My brain has been on high alert at work, at home,  everywhere – constantly searching for the ‘invisible' thing that is out there sneaking up on  people and taking their breath away” he said. Every patient encounter is like stepping into a battle zone. The constant pressure drains you out slowly, it eats your soul away one breath at a time”.

That call immediately reset my brain to appreciation mode. “What exactly was I so worried about? Is it that I can’t go to Ebeano/ Blenco as I wish or because eateries are not open? Perhaps it is not going for confession, circle and church. God understands”, I reassured myself.

The fear of Rona isn’t a bad thing if it heightens our awareness, makes us vigilant,  guides our fight or flight response, and keep us safe and alive.

I told myself, I can embrace fear,  yet not let it consume me. Our fears should not hold us back; our fear should not stop us from doing what we do best.

For me, time has always been a luxury I’m quick to complain I don’t have. Now that early morning school runs, Lagos traffic and other unnecessary time consumers are no longer there. I can afford to have a proper Bible study everyday as a family instead of our usual Saturdays.

I have time to teach my nine years old how to properly squeeze a mop and clean rather than spreading water all over like she does. Seeing them wash our cars or just running around gives me a unique sense of gratitude.

It’s 6am in Ajah. Weather is nice and beautiful. Virtual learning is set for the children’s resumption this morning. Morning prayers. Out for a walk.

#stayhome#
#stayconnectedtoHim#
#staysafe#
#stayfit#
#covid19realities#





No comments:

Post a Comment